Personalize your LinkedIn profile URL
Whether you are applying for a job or promoting you speaking gigs. Sometimes you will need to share your LinkedIn profile URL. Which is why adding the personalization makes a difference.
We suggest using a variation of your name or professional brand.
A custom URL can be 5-30 characters. You can use letters or numbers. But no space, symbols or special characters are allowed.
Change & Customize your LinkedIn profile URL
Here are the instructions
- Click the Me icon at the top of your LinkedIn homepage.
- Click View profile.
- Click Edit public profile & URL on the right rail.
- Under Edit your custom URL in the right rail, click the Edit icon next to your public profile URL.
- Type the last part of your new custom URL in the text box.
- Click Save.
Some things to note about customizing your profile URL:
- The customizable part of the URL is case insensitive.
- For example; JoanSmith, joanmith, or JoanSmith will all point to the same profile account.
- Personalize URL are first to come, first dibs basis.
- You can change your URL up to five times within six months.
- Once you have changed your URL for the fifth time, you won’t be able to change it for another six months.
- Changing your URL several times may make it hard for people to find you. Try not to change it at all.
- If a member uses a URL and then changes it, the original URL will be unavailable to members other than the original owner for six months.
- If you navigate to a previously claimed URL, you may see a page that reads Profile Not Found.
- Once an account is closed, the custom public profile URL will be available after 180 days from the date of the close.
Ways to promote your LinkedIn Profile
Your LinkedIn public profile is a streamlined version of your profile that shows up in search engine results.
This is also visible to people who aren’t signed in to LinkedIn.
Some options for promoting your public profile include:
- Add social button/link to your socials or blog or website.
- Your speaker bio
- Your author byline
- On email signatures.